Tuesday, July 6, 2010

H is for Heart. "The Heart wants what the Heart wants"

The human heart beats 100,000 times a day. It pumps 2,000 gallons of blood. And pushes the blood 60,000 miles throughout the body through vessels to 78 organs. Along with the brain and lungs, it is one of the hardest working and most vital of the human organs. However, it seems to me that the heart does much more than beat, pump and circulate blood throughout the body. The heart also burns, breaks and aches. It attacks, throbs, and flitters. It can be warm or cold, light or dark. It can be open and soft. It can be given away and cherished.

Approximately 1,180 years ago, in a time when poets and philosophers seemed to rule the world with imagination and theory, lived Claudius Galenus. His theories and studies would dominate and influence medical science for well over a millennium and later disproven and nearly forgotten. A pioneer in his belief that there was no line of distinction between Spirit and Science. He believed that the different organs within the body served other purposes beyond their obvious physical functions. He determined that ”Passion” came from the liver, “Reason” from the brain, and considered the heart to be the harbor of "Emotions". Hundreds of years later, after his theories had been proven wrong, the heart continues to be used as a symbol of human emotions and LOVE.

A good friend of mine once told me that the reason why love and “heart-ache” can be so confusing, frustrating and painful is because, as he put it, “The Heart wants what the heart wants”. Much like a foul-tempered angry Monarch Queen. The heart wants to rule the body and mind. “The Queen had only one way of settling all difficulties, great or small. 'Off with his head!' she said, without even looking round.” Alice in Wonderland, by Lewis Carroll.

Recently I have become witness to the tyranny of the heart. I have seen through my friends how lovers can pull their heart-strings across the world. I have seen how suddenly the love lines that connect can be severed without regret. I have seen how hearts drift apart and become unrecognizable to one another. I have observed the way hearts can attack each other. Sometimes in silence. And sometimes with full force and brutality. The war of our hearts. Ever competing and ever battling. But for what? We fight for the same reasons. We fight to be on the same side. It’s the salvation of LOVE that keeps our hearts alive.


We have all asked ourselves a million times. “Is love worth it?” We ask like we think we have a choice. As if the next time that LOVE comes knocking we will be able to resist the urge to open the door. It’s true. The heart wants what the heart wants. And eventually, the hearts gets what it wants. And no price to pay could ever sway the hearts decision. So we love again. We hurt. We heal. We are human and we get to do all of these things regardless of conscious thought. To deny ourselves of LOVE is to deny ourselves of being human. It exists with us. It’s just there.

Today, I was discussing with a friend the difference between LOVE and FEAR. We both have learned and have discussed many times that all things in life are based on own two principles. LOVE or FEAR. Everything in creation, every word ever spoken, and every thought ever had or to be had is based on these two principles. Nothing can exist without Loving or fearing. And the two wouldn’t exist without each other. To be able to understand the differences between LOVE and FEAR could mean the possible immunity of pain from LOVES next battle.

Harsh words spoken in the heat of the moment are based on FEAR. But they originate from love. LOVE is ultimately what feeds our FEARS. The FEAR of loss and rejections causes us to lash out in defense. It’s a survival instinct of sorts. And I believe to recognize the origin of FEAR is the best weapon in the war of LOVE. Seeing the truth behind someone’s FEAR has usually brought me a lot closer to understanding and forgiving. I think that’s when I realize that the FEAR that is been presented is a FEAR that I have or have had at some point in my life too. And who am I to hold anything against someone else for feeling what I have also felt.

To all my friends whose hearts are in question, or breaking, or lonely. I want you to know that your hearts make mine stronger. Your pain is my pain and I share it with you. I recognize your FEAR’s and LOVE you for what you are. And also know this; every heart-ache and heart-break has brought you to THIS moment. And in this moment you are are simply who you are. And who you are is every reason why I LOVE YOU!

2 comments:

  1. I simply LOVE this Andy!! You are so wise!! I am very grateful for you in my life! Thanks for sharing so much! You are amazing!! Can't wait to see what you continue to write!
    Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are some who question if I have a heart...

    I wonder what your going to do for the letter L, since you've already covered LOVE. I guess you could use my name. :) With reverant respect of course.

    ReplyDelete